I’m a guy in a blogging group mostly composed of women, so I am way out of my league posting a recipe, but I like a writing challenge. The thought of me posting a strawberry shortcake recipe is amusing, mostly because I don’t really have one. There was that one time in Home Economics class when I actually did learn how to bake tea biscuits, so I got as far as 33% of the way there.
Since then, my food preparation didn’t get much better. In university Mr. Noodles, Chef Boyardee and frozen pizza were my staples. Fast forward to adulthood, my kitchen skills are still pretty lame and my foodie trick these days is sharing a box of Kraft dinner with my son who just can’t get enough of the stuff! It’s probably time to step up my game.
Luckily, 10 years ago I married a wonderful woman that knows one of the ways to my heart is through my stomach, and she recently arrived home with all the supplies to make one of my all-time favorite Summer desserts.
- Fresh local strawberries (Nova Scotia, close enough)
- Locally baked tea biscuits (ok, well Sobeys, but it’s 5 minutes away)
- Real Whip cream (not the edible-petroleum kind and the non-explosive kind)
1. Marry a nice Acadian girl and when she arrives with these ingredients, become super excited (like for real excited).
2. Place local strawberries in the fridge for a few hours with sugar. I think she used normal sugar, maybe raw organic sugar, not sure. When I asked her how much sugar, she just said, “you don’t want to know”.
3. Split open a tea biscuit, put on the delicious syrup and top with whip cream. For bonus points, let your kid make a mess with the whip cream spray can.
So there you have it, the easiest way to enjoy Strawberry Shortcake with only 1 minute of prep time and no turning on the oven. So if the key to a man’s heart is this easy, anyone have a really easy (husband-friendly) recipe to unlock the key to a woman’s heart? Let me know in the comments and thanks in advance!